Skip to main content

Alexandria's Jewellery Museum

Alexandria's Jewellery Museum 17 
The Jewellery Museum is a two-story villa which belonged to Princess Fatma Al-Zahraa - a member of the Egyptian Royal family, which she decorated to her taste in 1920. The foyer is a grandiose affair with burgundy Alexandria's Jewellery Museum 6 
soft, deep carpets and carved, gilded ceilings. From here, a short number of marble steps lead to the first floor.
 Portraits of all the royal descendants of the Mohamed Ali Dynasty (with a brief description) decorate the walls. Alexandria's Jewellery Museum 7 
Very little information is known about the life and history of Princess Fatma with the exception of her evident extraordinary taste in interior decoration.Alexandria's Jewellery Museum 1 
Very little information is known about the life and history of Princess Fatma with the exception of her evident extraordinary taste in interior decoration.
The rooms of the two floors are filled to the brim with display boxes showcasing every kind of imaginable item of Alexandria's Jewellery Museum 9 
status, luxury and wealth. The most important pieces in the collection are the royal crowns and tiaras. The
Alexandria's Jewellery Museum 8 
platinum tiara and a pair of matching earrings stand out from the rest. The tiara, which belonged to the wife of King Fouad was set with 2,159 first grade diamonds and priceless white pearls.
Alexandria's Jewellery Museum 10 
Also not to be missed is the private toilet set of King Farouq. The set comprises huge crystal bottles capped with heavy lids of pure gold and embossed with the royal coat of arms gracefully perching on a tray of gold.

Strangely enough, instead of being dazzled by the sheer amount and mastery of craftsmanship of the jewellery
Alexandria's Jewellery Museum 11 
found in the villa, the interior decoration is more striking. Unlike most of the private residences of the royal family in Egypt, which are usually dominated by the Islamic taste in architecture and decoration, this villa is totally inflAlexandria's Jewellery Museum 5 
uenced by European styles.
The ceilings of every room were hand-painted by Egyptian, Italian and French artists. Some ceilings depict stories from Greek mythology, while most of the second floor ceilings depict parts of famous French and Italian Alexandria's Jewellery Museum 12 
love stories, painted in vivid colours. The walls of the villa are either paneled with oak or chestnut wood, or painted with huge tableaus of French medieval tales.
Even the bathrooms on both floors are true works of art. The corridors and bathrooms are all lined with small white pieces of porcelain made by the French prestigious porcelain house of Sevres. The walls of the spacious Alexandria's Jewellery Museum 13 
two bathrooms are hand painted with swimming nymphs, images from the well-known Fables of La Fontaine, and fairytales all painted on white backgrounds with bright colors
The highlight of the villa however, are the wondrous stained glass panels found in the main hall of the first floor, in Alexandria's Jewellery Museum 14 
the stairwell, and in the first floor bathroom. The most famous French artists of the time were commissioned to Alexandria's Jewellery Museum 3 
create these masterpieces, which recount the tales of famous European love stories. Unfortunately, the villa had been stripped from all the personal belongings and furniture of its former owner. It would have been very Alexandria's Jewellery Museum 15 
interesting to see how the Princess furnished such a villa. The garden is not vast but tastefully kept. The small Alexandria's Jewellery Museum 4 
well-stocked souvenir shop sells cards, books on the different eras of Egyptian history, and brightly colored gift Alexandria's Jewellery Museum 16 
items at reasonable prices.
The Jewellery Museum is open daily from 9am to 4 pm except on Fridays when it opens from 10am to 11.30am and from 1.30pm to 4pm.


Alexandria's Jewellery Museum 18

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tomb of Pabasa (TT279)

Pabasa, who was also called Pabes, has a large tomb at Asasif, just outside the entrance to Hatshepsut’s temple at Deir el-Bahri. Like Ankh-hor, who held this important title after him, he was the ‘Chief Steward of the God’s Wife Nitocris’ (Neitiqert) during the reign of Saite king Psamtek I.  Pabasa’s tomb still has a large mudbrick superstructure. A steep flight of stairs leads down to the entrance of the subterranean levels and on the lintel above the doorway is a fine relief of a barque, adored by the souls of Pe and Nekhen, by the God’s Wife, Nitocris and by the deceased.  A small vestibule leads to a larger pillared sun court. The vestibule shows scenes of Pabasa’s funeral procession, including mourners and the ‘Abydos Pilgrimage’. There is a long text of Pabasa and depictions of his son, Thahorpakhepesh, who acted as sem-priest at his father’s funeral.  On the inner lintel of the entrance to the court, a relief shows Osiris and Re-Horakhty, in the cent...

US authorities return eight stolen ancient Egyptian artifacts

US authorities agreed to return eight ancient Egyptian artifacts stolen and illegally smuggled out of the country. Today, upon his arrival from the United States, Minister of Antiquities Mohamed Ibrahim announced that US authorities agreed to return eight ancient Egyptian artefacts stolen and illegally smuggled out of the country. The objects are to arrive next month. The pieces include the upper part of a painted anthropoid wooden sarcophagus from the Third Intermediate period depicting a face of a woman wea ring a wig decorated with coloured flowers. Two linen mummy wrappings covered with plaster and bearing paintings showing winged amulets pushing the sun disc are also among the artefacts. Hieroglyphic text showing the name and titles of the deceased are also found on the plaster cover. The third piece is a cartonage painted mummy mask from the Third Intermediate period while the fourth and fifth items are Middle Kingdom wooden boats. The other three items are lim...

what exactly happened to the Sphinx's nose?

The Sphinx's Nose The nose of the Great Sphinx at Giza is made conspicuous by its absence. What happened to it? The popular story is that the troops of Napoleon Bonaparte used the nose for target practice in 1798. Drawings done for La Description de L'Egypte depict a noseless Sphinx. The Sphinx, 1743. In 1737, British traveler Richard Pococke visited Egypt and made a sketch of the Sphinx that was published six years later. The nose is shown intact, but Pococke likely exercised his poetic license by adding it when it was not there (earlier, in 1579, Johannes Helferich had further taken an artist's liberties by depicting the Sphinx with a nose -- and with decidedly female features). Frederick Lewis Norden, an artist and marine architect, also sketched the Sphinx in 1737. His detailed drawings, published in 1755, were more realistic and showed the Sphinx with no nose. It is very unlikely that Norden would omit the nose if it was present. We can conclude that the...